homeaboutvarioustop destinationseventsdead or alive, famous norwegianstream, feed




Menu

















nergaardlerøy, leroeySalMarmarine harvest

 Garmo Stave Church

Garmo stave church is a stave church situated at the Maihaugen museum at Lillehammer. Garmo Stave Church at Maihaugen is one of the most visited stave churches in Norway.

Garmo stave church originally came from the village of Garmo in Lom. It was built circa 1150 on the site of a previous church believed to have been built in 1021 by a Viking chieftain. In 1730, it was expanded into a cruciform church in the timber.

After Garmo Church (Garmo kyrkje) was built as the new parish church in 1879, the stave church was demolished and the materials sold at auction. In 1882, the church was sold to Anders Sandvig, who brought it to Lillehammer in sections. It was re-erected at Maihaugen in 1920-1921. It is unclear how much of the original materials were used in the reconstruction. The church consists largely of 17th and 18th century inventory. Apart from the claystone baptismal font from the 1100s, all the furnishings in the Garmo stave church come from other churches. The pulpit made in 1738 came from Romsdalen. The altarpiece from 1695 came from Lillehammer.



 Garmo
 more video Oppland Accommodation, Businesses and more pictures from Lillehammer  Lillehammer